How is it treated?
At present there is no known treatment that can prevent, stop, or reverse HSP. However the symptoms of HSP can be managed in a number of ways including:
- Muscle relaxants including baclofen, tizandine and botulinum (Botox) injections
- Regular physiotherapy or exercise
- Occupational therapy
- Ankle-Foot Orthosis (AFOs), insoles or walking sticks
Depending on the presence of symptoms you may also make use of:
- Anti depressants
- Pain relief techniques or medication
- Bladder/bowel medication or treatments
- Relaxation or mindfulness techniques.
Find out more about HSP symptoms and HSP types.