HSP 1000 Mile Challenge Participants
This summer we are launching the ‘HSP 1000 Mile Challenge’ and very much hope you would like to get involved!
There are around 400 members of the HSP Support Group, and together we want to get (virtually) from Land’s End to John O’Groats.
1000 miles – over 10 weeks, from 10 July to the 18 September 2021.
UPDATE 15 August 2021:- 5 weeks in to the challenge, and with HUGE thanks to all of you taking part, we have all made an amazing achievement – we have reached John O’Groats!! WELL DONE!! One option would be to stop, pat ourselves on the backs, and take it easy for the rest of the summer – but with the donations coming in thick and fast that seems a silly idea!! So, let’s keep going, let’s turn around and head right back to Land’s End!!! We can do this – together. Good luck members – you got this!
The main aim of the HSP 1000 Mile Challenge is to raise awareness of HSP and raise funds for research.
There are few ways you can get involved:
- You can participate, and help contribute miles to the journey
- You can help secure sponsorship
- You can raise awareness of the Challenge with local news & social media
- And of course, you can do all of the above!
How to participate
To participate, you can use any of methods noted below. It doesn’t matter how small the length of the journey – all miles count! A trip to the shops in a wheelchair or walking, walking up and downstairs at home, cutting the grass, daytrips out and about, etc – they all help. For those of you willing and able to do longer distances on bikes, paddle boards, swimming etc – we need you too!
All you need to do is let us know, each week, the distance you have travelled, and the method. If you are techy and have a clever smartphone, or use Googlemaps, this can help tell you the distance you have travelled. If not – don’t worry. We can help work out the distance for you, just get in touch.
We’d love photos, videos and stories of your journeys and progress, please let us know what you are up to, so we can share back to the group and encourage others to take part.
To tell us your distance, and share your journey and photos – you can email email@example.com or use this form, or share on social media with the hashtag #HSP1000 and tag us in at @hspgroup.org on Facebook or @UKHSPGroup on twitter.
We will update the challenge map each week, and keep you updated on the group’s progress.
For sponsorship – please direct people to our JustGiving page. We have a target of £5,000 – which with your help, we are sure we can reach. All funds raised will go to research to develop viable, effective treatments for HSP, leading towards a cure.
The group members can use any of the following methods:-
- Wheelchair (manual or electric)
- Mobility scooter
- Walking (aided / unaided)
- Stair climbing (stairs or stair climber)
- Cycling (exercise bike, arm cycling or cycling)
- Rowing (rowing machine/seated row or rowing boat)
- Running (running machine or running)
- Kayak / paddle board
- Skiing / cross trainer
- Horse riding
- Roller skating / skateboarding
- Adult trike.
Aims of the HSP 1000 Mile Challenge:
- Raise funds for HSP research to understand the cause of the condition, improve diagnosis, and develop treatments.
- Raise awareness of HSP
- Encourage sporting activities for people of all abilities
- Highlight the capacity that people living with a disability have to lead an active life
- Raise awareness of the importance of a fully inclusive society
Thank you for being part of the HSP 1000 Mile Challenge
For further details - please contact the fundraising team.
For details to share with the press – please contact Pip Lee.